A1 / Starter to B1 / Intermediate Level
Prove you have the language skills to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom or visa and immigration purposes.
IELTS Life Skills is a test for people who need to show that their English speaking & listening skills is A1 or B1 level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
If you are applying for a UK visa and immigration for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, IELTS Life Skills A1 is the test for you.
If you are applying for a UK Visa and Immigration for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship, IELTS Life Skills B1 is the test for you.
What’s in the test?
There are two sections to the IELTS Life Skills test: In the first section, you are expected to ask and answer questions on familiar topics; The second section is a listening & speaking activity. At both levels you will listen to a task. By completing the task you show your ability to listen for both the general meaning and detail. You can makes notes on paper while you listen and then you will say your answers to the examiner. There will finally be a discussion on a topic related to what you have listened to in the dialogue. At B1 level, there is an additional activity where you plan an activity together with the other test-taker.
How will I be assessed?
You will take the test with an examiner, and with one other candidate. The topics & activities in the IELTS Life Skills reflect everyday communication experiences in an English-speaking country. You will take part in a short discussion on an everyday subjects, such as: Personal details/experiences; Family & friends; Shopping; Work; Health; Leisure; Education / training; Transport; Housing; Weather.
You will be assessed on your English abilities in four main areas: Obtaining information; Conveying information; Speaking to communicate; Engaging in discussion.
You will be allowed to take notes to prepare your answers but only your speaking and listening skills are marked during the test.
IELTS Life Skills Exam Preparation
The IELTS Life Skills Exam Preparation course is designed to help you improve your listening skills, develop your answers and make your meaning clear when you talk with other people.
IELTS LIFE SKILLS A1 / B1 Course Details
A1 Level – Course Focus
– listening & responding to spoken English, including simple narratives, statements, questions and instructions
– communicating basic information, feelings and opinions on familiar subjects
– talking with another candidate in a familiar situation about familiar subjects
A1 Level – Activities include
– describing, giving opinions, giving personal information,
– stating preferences,
– asking for information or descriptions,
– agreeing & disagreeing,
– explaining, giving reasons or justifying,
– deciding, suggesting, selecting
B1 Level – Course Focus
– listening & responding to spoken English, including everyday information & narratives and following simple explanations & instructions
– communicating information, feelings and opinions on familiar subjects, using appropriate formality
– talking with other people in familiar situations, making relevant points & responding to what others say to reach a shared agreement about familiar topics
B1 Level – In addition to the A1 course shown above, the B1 course includes
– comparing, showing contrast, cause, reason or purpose
– prioritising, planning
– persuading, narrating
– asking about past & future events
– expressing future certainty or possibility
LEC’s objective is to open the gateway to your education.
Learn about our latest offers, events, courses and more …